You’ve Been Hit by an Uninsured Motorist: Now What? One of the first things you hear about getting involved in a car accident is that you should get the driver’s license and insurance information of other involved drivers. But what happens if the at-fault driver does not have insurance? What happens if you have been injured and / or suffered property damage and the person who caused it does not have insurance?

Unfortunately, about 15% of California drivers are not insured, which means that it is much more common than it should be that a person is in this position. As a result, you should know what to do if you end up in this situation. Keep reading to learn more about uninsured drivers and how to handle accidents with them. Then contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 for a free legal consultation.

You Can Protect Yourself Against These Situations

Of course, one of the best ways to assure that you do not suffer a devastating financial lost if you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist is to carry the appropriate car insurance. This is called uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage and it covers you in this exact situation. This coverage generally does not cost a lot each month and it can be a lifesaver if you are involved in an accident with a person with no insurance or a minimum policy when you have suffered serious injuries.

You Still Have Options without These Types of Coverage

If you have already been involved in an accident with a driver who was not properly insured, there are several steps you can take in an attempt to maximize the compensation you get. It does not matter how minor the accident seems, contact the police. Request an official accident report. Exchange information with the other driver and make sure that the information you get from them is the same information they gave to the police.

If you have suffered any injury, once again, no matter how minor it may seem, you should seek medical attention. Evidence that you have done so will be important to any eventual lawsuit you may need to file, and of course visiting the doctor assures that your injuries are treated. Once you have seen your doctor, contact a personal injury attorney for a free legal consultation. You can do so by calling The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000.

Once you have obtained that information and contacted The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker, we can look for the best way forward. This may involve obtaining a judgment against the defendant. If we go this route, we will file a certified copy of said judgment with the DMV. The defendant will then have 30 days to satisfy the judgment and if they fail to do so, they will lose their license until it has been satisfied or other arrangements are made with the court. Call us at 800-333-0000 to find out if this or other options will work for you.