Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
In recent years, pedestrian accidents and automobile fatalities have alarmingly increased in California’s main cities. This regrettable increase is a result of smartphones, speeding, and an increase in the number of vehicles on the road, including cars, trucks, motorbikes, and pedestrians. The demand for experienced pedestrian accident lawyers grows as accidents involving pedestrians happen.
Unlike auto accidents, pedestrian collisions usually result in catastrophic injuries or even fatalities. Along with severe injuries, victims struggle with high medical costs, missed income, and protracted healing times. And that doesn’t even consider the psychological impact such a terrible event might have. Some bicycle accidents or collisions involving motorcycles may also result in injuries to pedestrians.
Although it is both legally and morally required of us as drivers to avoid hurting and protecting pedestrians, the majority of accident victims on foot have no idea what to do when anything goes wrong. The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker wants to ensure you have all the knowledge required to move toward recovery and resolution. Our California pedestrian accident lawyers are available to talk about your case and explain your rights. You are entitled to compensation if someone else’s carelessness resulted in the accident and the following injuries.
California’s Pedestrian and Crosswalk Laws
There are many regulations safeguarding pedestrians in the state of California. These regulations specify where pedestrians can legally cross roads without blocking traffic. Vehicle Code 21960 states that all drivers must “yield to a person crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any marked crosswalk at an intersection” before proceeding.
While it sounds simple, some people may find the additional terminology in the code bewildering. As an illustration, “no pedestrian shall suddenly leave the curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of any vehicle which is so near as to present an immediate hazard.”
It is usual for insurance companies to reject these claims due to the ambiguity of this vehicle code and the hectic urban environments found in California’s major metro cities. Suppose you are hurt by an automobile crossing at a curb or crosswalk as a pedestrian. In that case, this is still another reason why you need a pedestrian accident lawyer on your side to fight for you while you focus on recovery.
Frequent Causes Of Pedestrian Accidents
Numerous elements could have a role in California pedestrian accidents. The following factors cause most pedestrian accidents:
- Using a cell phone (texting), using electronic devices, conversing with passengers, and engaging in other activities while driving causing distraction.
- Abuse of alcohol and other drugs: Drunk and drug-impaired driving (DUI) is a significant contributor to road accidents.
- Driving too fast is another factor in collisions involving pedestrians.
- Drivers of motor vehicles frequently disregard pedestrians’ right-of-way when navigating an intersection. The vast majority of pedestrians killed in car accidents are struck at junctions.
- Failure to signal before turning: Another prevalent factor in pedestrian collisions is the failure of drivers of motor vehicles to indicate before turning. When drivers don’t use their turn signals, pedestrians have little warning and risk walking directly into the path of the moving car.
- Visibility and Time of Day: Nighttime is when most pedestrian accidents happen. Conditions that can be risky include poor sight and increased drivers who are impaired by alcohol or drugs. As a side point, accidents tend to increase during dawn and dusk because vehicles and pedestrians must contend with the low sun and its glare.
- Speeding, intoxicated driving, and weariness are all careless driving actions that endangers pedestrians. According to studies, the reflexes of a drunk driver and a tired driver don’t differ significantly. On the other hand, aggressive and impatient drivers can potentially endanger pedestrians as well.
Pedestrian Accidents in California: Types of Injuries
Our expertise representing victims in the Los Angeles metro area has shown us that injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents are frequently severe and call for prolonged medical care and rehabilitation. Because of the crash, these individuals often suffer injuries to their upper extremities. Following these collisions, around 38% of pedestrians suffer head, neck, or facial injuries, and 27% injure their upper extremities.
The following wounds are sustained by pedestrians most frequently:
- Spinal cord damage can lead to paralysis and death.
- Brain injury, which can result in death and paralysis.
- Damage to internal organs that can be fatal.
- Typically non-fatal ligament tears and sprains.
- Leg, arm, hip, rib, and pelvic fractures, which are often not fatal.
- Lacerations, contusions, and abrasions of the scalp that usually do not result in death.
- Face and hand abrasions, contusions, and lacerations that are typically not lethal.
Should I Hire A Lawyer To Handle My Pedestrian Accident Case?
You are entitled to compensation if you sustained severe physical harm while a pedestrian in an automobile collision. However, without competent representation, it may be challenging, if not impossible, to receive compensation. You ought to consider retaining a California pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible because receiving reimbursement for damages is essential for assisting a victim in getting back on their feet.
In the event of a pedestrian accident, a lawyer can assist you in the following ways:
- Assessing blame and proving liability.
- They have the resources and techniques necessary to calculate financial losses, which will help guarantee that you get the compensation you require and deserve.
- They could act as a go-between for insurance providers.
How Much Compensation Will I Receive For My Pedestrian Accident?
There is no magic formula for calculating damages in a pedestrian accident lawsuit. Your compensation will be determined by your medical expenses, missed wages, and emotional anguish resulting from your injuries. The more pain and suffering damages we can pursue on your behalf, the more serious the injury is. You can rely on our pedestrian accident lawyers to vigorously pursue the highest possible settlement in your case.
Establishing liability is an essential criterion for obtaining compensation for pedestrian accidents. Most of the time, a pedestrian collision is the driver’s fault.
The police will continue to investigate what happened and interrogate all parties concerned. For instance, if there is a question about whether someone was using their cell phone, the records from that person’s phone can be requested to shed light on the matter. Near the event that the collision happened in a busy intersection, there more than likely will be witnesses as well. Understanding police procedures during the investigative stage may require speaking with a pedestrian accident lawyer.
Identifying fault can be challenging in situations involving unique conditions, such as:
- Crosswalks that are not clearly indicated or poorly defined can raise questions about whether a pedestrian was legally crossing the street. Remember, even if someone is caught jaywalking, it doesn’t give a driver the okay to hit them.
- Construction Zones: Other parties besides the driver who hit the pedestrian may also be held responsible for the accident if the pedestrian had to cross the street because of construction or a closed public sidewalk.
It can be extremely stressful to deal with medical bills, police reports, and phone calls from insurance company adjusters, especially if you’ve sustained major injuries. To ensure that you have adequate representation for your accident claim, you must immediately consult with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker.
You could believe your case is solid and you don’t require a pedestrian accident lawyer. The driver who struck you may contest what happened before the collision and try to place the blame on you. Insurance firms could encourage you to accept their offer by offering a lower payout than what you believe you are entitled to. Or you could be unsure of what a reasonable settlement amount should be.
When Will I Receive My Pedestrian Accident Compensation?
We strive to settle all our cases, including pedestrian accident cases, quickly in negotiations with the insurance company. Everyone knows insurance companies try to delay your case and keep the money you deserve. In some cases, it is necessary to go to court to get you the full and fair amount of compensation you deserve.
Why Choose The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker
- We Have a 95% Success Rate
- We Have 50 Years of Experience
- We’ve Helped Over 100,000 Clients and Won Over $2 Billion
- We Are Available Seven Days a Week
- You Don’t Pay Any Legal Fees Unless We Win Your Case
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
If you require representation for a pedestrian accident injury claim, please do not hesitate to contact our office. We will be happy to conduct a free initial consultation over the phone so you can learn more about your rights and options. Call us at 800-333-0000 today or submit your case online 24/7 through our case submission form.