Who Pays for Damage to Your Vehicle in a California Car Accident? Get the Answer to This and Other Questions

Unfortunately, car accidents occur every day in the United States and in the state of California. If you are involved in an accident that was not your fault, who pays for the property damage you incurred – most specifically to your car? Keep reading to get the answers and remember that you can contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 to talk to a personal injury attorney about your specific case.

When Another Driver Is at Fault for the Accident

When a driver is at fault for a car accident, they (or their insurance company) is legally responsible to pay the victim’s medical bills, lost earning capacity, lost wages, cost of vehicle repair or replacement, rental charges while the vehicle is being repaired or replaced, pain and suffering damages, and others. However, when a person does not have insurance, it can become more complicated.

When the Driver Had Optional Collision Coverage

Anytime a driver has optional collision insurance, their insurer is required to pay for repairing or replacing the vehicle – no matter who was at fault. This coverage is not required in this state, but it is often purchased. In fact, some lenders require it while a vehicle they extend loans to is being paid off.

Taking advantage of your collision insurance (if you have it) is generally the fastest way to get your vehicle repaired. Your insurance company will then have to seek reimbursement from the insurance company of the at-fault driver to recoup their cost.

When the Driver Does Not Have Collision Coverage

If a driver is involved in an accident and has not opted for optional collision coverage, there are a few other options. If the driver who is at fault has auto liability, then the victim can pay for the repairs and request reimbursement from the insurance company of the at-fault driver, they can wait to settle the case to have their vehicle repaired, or they can settle just the property damage while still negotiating other settlements details, such as medical bills.

If the driver who caused the accident is not insured, then the victim can settle the claim directly with the driver, they can sue the driver personally, or, in the event the victim has underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage (often referred to as UMI/UM) then they can turn to their own insurance provider for payment.

Call an Attorney to Find the Best Way Forward for Your Case

If you are not sure what the next right move is, contact an attorney who can offer a free legal consultation and get the answers you need. Reach out to The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 and let us take care of this difficult situation for you. We are standing by to offer our assistance.