What to Do If There Are Inaccuracies in the Police Report for Your Accident

If you have been involved in an accident in which a police report was taken, then it is likely that a police report will be an important part of any legal action you take against the at-fault party. But what happens if that police report is not accurate? Keep reading to find out how you can get it changed and how your personal injury attorney can help. Contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 now to request a free legal consultation.

The Importance of Police Reports

First, it is important to understand why the reports are important in the first place. They include a lot of information, including the date, time, and location of the accident, a diagram of the accident, contact information for all involved parties, weather, road, and lighting conditions at the scene of the accident, contact information of any known witnesses, the location of the vehicle’s damage, photos of the accident, and statements from the parties and witnesses they spoke to.

In many cases, the police officer might issue a citation or ticket to the person who broke the law – or several parties. The officer might also include their opinion on what caused the accident and who was to blame. It is easy to see that this information can be very important.

Insurance Companies and Juries Often Put a Lot of Stock in What’s in the Report

Insurance companies will generally take what is in the police report as fact. They believe police are credible and impartial. They also note that police reports are typically created within a few days based on the notes the officer took at the scene and are thus more reliable than the memory of a person. At the same time, jury members often similarly about police reports. This is why it is so important to work to get any inaccuracies removed.

Police Reports Can Be Amended for Specific Things

In most cases, a police report can be amended, but only if the officer agrees to do so. They are most likely to amend a police report if it contains factual errors that can be easily verified. They are least likely to change disputed information, such as the cause of the accident. Your best chance to get it amended is if you are polite, provide proof, and act quickly. Remember that they are likely dealing with hundreds of car accidents every year.

If you believe that the police report is wrong for your car, bus, or motorcycle accident, your next step should be to call a personal injury attorney for help. You can easily reach The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 to request a free legal consultation.