In 2011, California had over 800,000 registered vessels. However, along with high numbers of registered vessels come greater risks for accidents. If you or a loved one is a victim of a boating accident, find out how boating injury lawyers in Los Angeles can help.
When handling an accident case, attorneys must prove that another party was at fault. This requires understanding the causes and factors involved with boating accidents. The California Department of Boating and Waterways (DBW) tracks boating accident statistics every year to analyze and reduce accidents. According to the DBW 2011 statistical analysis, the three top causes of boating accidents were operator inattention, excessive speed and operator inexperience. Other statistics showed the following:
- Most boat operators had no education in boat operation
- Most open motorboats involved in accidents were between 16 and 25 feet long
- The greatest number of boat accident fatalities occurred during the warmer months of June, July, August, September and October
- More CA boat accident fatalities occurred in June than in any other month
- The greatest number of boat accident fatalities occurred on Saturday and Sunday, with close to 60% more taking place on Sunday than Saturday
- Most accidents occurred when vessels were cruising or drifting
- Of deaths due to drowning, 74% of the people were not wearing life jackets
When someone else caused a boating accident and you or a loved one suffered injury or death, boating accident lawyers in Long Beach can help you pursue legal action to recover compensation.
The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker brings 35 years of experience to every accident case and has recovered millions of dollars for thousands of clients. Find out how they can help.