We Are Here to Answer Your FAQ About Being Filing a Claim After a Car AccidentIf you have been in an automobile accident in California, you are probably wondering what you should do next. In many circumstances, this may include submitting a vehicle accident claim, but how do you go about doing so? Continue reading to learn more. The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker can help you if you need a personal injury lawyer. Call 800-333-0000.

Who should I call?

If medical assistance is required following an automobile collision, begin by contacting emergency personnel. Then call the police if one or both vehicles have been damaged for more than $950. Finally, you should contact vehicle insurance firms. Contact the other party’s insurance carrier if they are at fault. Contact your own insurance carrier if they are uninsured.

Is it necessary for me to contact the DMV?

In some cases, California law requires you to contact the DMV within ten days. This covers every mishap in which a person was killed or injured — even if it was a minor injury. If the property damage totals more than $1,000, you’ll need to inform the DMV.

Is it necessary for me to file a lawsuit right away?

Both yes and no. A personal injury action must be filed within two years of the date of the accident in most situations. There are, however, exceptions. Similarly, evidence is available immediately following an accident, but it may be destroyed with time. As a result, while you are not obligated by law to file immediately away, we strongly advise you to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Your prospects will be improved if we can get started as soon as possible.

What should I do if I am uninsured?

If you were not at fault, you will simply submit a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance carrier. Just keep in mind that anybody you interact with there is not representing you and is not on your side; their purpose is to get the smallest amount feasible. One of the reasons we advise engaging with a personal injury attorney is because of this.

Is it necessary for me to take my vehicle to a certain location for repairs?

No. You have the right to go to whichever body shop or mechanic you like for your repairs. However, repair shops are usually found inside the insurer’s network. You have the option of working with them and having the insurance company charge you directly, or you may go it alone, negotiate the price, pay out of pocket, and be reimbursed.

Should I speak with a lawyer?

Yes. If you have been injured and/or your property has been damaged for at least $1,000, you should speak with a personal injury attorney who can advise you on your options. To get started, call The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 right now.