The Three Types of Damages You May Be Eligible for After a California Car Accident

If you are injured in a car accident in the state of California then there are a number of damages you may be eligible for. Keep reading to learn what they are and then contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 if you are ready for a free legal consultation with a personal injury attorney.

  1. Economic Damages
  2. Also known as financial damages, economic damages cover the financial losses you experienced in the accident as well as your expenses. If the other party you were in the accident with were 100% at fault then you should be entitled to full compensation for your economic damages. This would include damage to your vehicle and other property, medical costs, loss of income, travel expenses to the doctor, personal care, and future damages, among other types of damage.

  3. Noneconomic Damages
  4. Also known as “pain and suffering,” noneconomic damages are those that relate to how much pain, emotional stress, and anguish you went through a result of the injuries you suffered. This can also include compensation for loss of enjoyment and/or quality of life. We can include compensation for other noneconomic damages such as permanent impairment, disability, and scarring.

    Noneconomic damages are difficult to estimate without talking to a personal injury attorney. This is because they can vary greatly on a case by case basis. Some of the factors we use to determine the amount of your damages including how serious your injuries were, the type of injuries you suffered, how permanent your impairment is, how long recovery lasted, how much your financial damages are, and the long-term impact of your injuries.

  5. Punitive Damages
  6. Only awarded in cases in which the plaintiff was particularly negligent and recklessness, punitive damages are rare. While other damages in these cases are designed to compensate the injured or damaged party, punitive damages are designed specifically to punish the at-fault party for their reckless behavior. One of the most common examples of this type of particularly dangerous behavior is a person who drove while drunk and injured or killed a person.

What Type of Damages Are You Eligible For?

If you have been injured in a car accident and your property was damaged then you are likely eligible for economic damages. If you were physically injured and had medical costs then you are likely eligible for economic damages. If you have evidence of noneconomic damages, such as having seen a therapist or physical symptoms like scars, then you are likely eligible for noneconomic damages. If the at-fault party was particularly dangerous then you may be eligible for punitive damages.

The best way to find out what you are most likely to be eligible for is to contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 and request a free legal consultation. We can assess your case and give you the facts re: our legal opinion.