Protect Your Legal Rights if You Have Been Involved in an Accident with a Drunk Driver

You may be aware that the first step after being involved in a vehicle accident with a drunk driver is to contact the authorities by dialing 911. Do you, on the other hand, know what extra actions should be taken? Do you know what you should do to keep safe and preserve your right to submit a personal injury claim? Continue reading for the facts, then call The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker for a free legal consultation at 800-333-0000.

You should call the cops as soon as possible

If there are no significant injuries and the property damage is less than $1,000, you may not need to call the police at all in other automobile accidents. However, regardless of how bad the accident is, if someone was drinking and driving, or you think they were, you must notify the police immediately. You’ll need the cops on the scene for a variety of reasons, including their capacity to evaluate whether or not someone is legally inebriated.

Examine to see whether anyone need immediate medical attention

While in an ideal world, you could wait for the ambulance and EMT to come, you may need to respond if there is a major, life-threatening injury. Remember that if you believe someone has hurt their back or neck, you should not move them unless it is absolutely necessary. Inform the 911 operator of the injuries you notice, and they should be able to assist you in determining whether or not you need to intervene.

Ensure that your vehicle is parked in a secure location

If your car can be driven, park it somewhere safe and away from traffic. Get out of the car if it can’t be driven or moved, and find a safer spot to wait for the police to arrive. Your damaged car might be hit by another motorist who does not see it, putting you and anybody else in the vehicle in danger.

Collect evidence

An intoxicated motorist will frequently attempt to flee the scene of an accident. This is one of the reasons you should explore obtaining as much evidence as possible if it is safe to do so. This might include photographing the automobiles involved (with their license plates), photographing empty bottles, or filming the driver while inebriated. Keep in mind that if there is no evidence, it may come down to your word against theirs.

Obtain medical attention

If you are hurt, even if it appears to be a small issue such as a sprain or a scratch, it is critical that you have it checked out by a medical expert and recorded. This might be crucial in a personal injury case. Remember that you may contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker for a free consultation to establish your legal rights by calling 800-333-0000.