Not All Car Accidents Involve Injuries and Neither Do All Personal Injury Cases

When most people think of filing a personal injury case, they think of an accident in which there were injuries. After all, it’s right in the name. The truth is that personal injury is actually a much broader term that covers property damage and mental injuries such as much as it does physical injuries. Keep reading to find out more and then contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 if you need a free legal consultation relating to your car accident.

The First Step After the Accident

If you were involved in a car accident and did not receive injuries, you may still need to take legal action. The first step is to notify the insurance company of the at-fault driver about the accident. When they are notified, they will assign an insurance adjuster to your case. This person is responsible for communicating with you and with the auto shop where your car will be fixed.

Do Not Be Fooled by What the Insurance Adjuster Says or Implies

It is essential to note that you do not have to go to a specific auto repair shop to have your car repaired. The insurance company may have a deal worked out with a particular shop so that they get a discount on repairs there, and as a result the adjuster may try to convince you to go there. You’re welcome to if you would like, but you have the legal right to visit any shop you want.

The Insurance Company Will Likely Require an Estimate

In most cases, the insurance company is going to ask for an estimate from the auto repair shop. You have the right to have your vehicle restored to its prior condition, which means that you can and should ask for OEM parts. This refers to Original Equipment Manufactured, and prevents cheaper, poorer quality parts from being used.

Be Ready for the Response from the Insurance Company

Once the insurance company has looked at your claim and your estimate, they are going to one of a number of things. One option is to agree to pay the estimate. Remember that you also have a right to a rental care while your car is being repaired.

The insurance company could also decide that your car is not worth repairing. This is determined by looking at the fair market value of your vehicle and the estimate. If the cost to repair the vehicle is 75% of more of the value of the vehicle, then the vehicle will be declared totaled. The insurance company will then simply write a check for the fair market value of the vehicle.

These are the simplest two options but the case can also go a number of different ways. Your personal injury attorney can help ensure you get what you are entitled to. Contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 now for your free legal consolation.