How to Settle without an Insurance Claim After a Car Accident

If you have been involved in a car accident and do not want to get an insurance company involved, or you or the other party does not have insurance, then you may feel as though you are out of luck. The truth is that you can settle your car accident claim without an insurance company. However, at The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker we recommend you follow these tips and that you work with a personal injury attorney. You can always contact us at 800-333-0000 for a free legal consultation.

Do not leave the scene of the accident without talking to the others involved

Unless you or someone you are responsible for is in grave condition and needs immediate medical attention, you should remain at the scene of the accident long enough to at least talk to the other drivers involved and get their contact information. You should also provide your own name, address, driver’s license information, contact details, and other information. Do not admit fault or discuss the specifics of the accident.

Report the accident if required

You may not want to report the accident to the police but there are some circumstances in which the law requires it. For example, if there was more than $1,000 in property damage or if there were any injuries, you must file a report. Do not assume that the other party is going to file the report. Once you have reported the accident, get a copy of the police report.

Determine who was at fault

This is the most complicated part because you do not want to admit fault no matter what the situation is. If the other party is willing to admit that they were at fault and to pay for your repairs and any medical costs, then you may consider this as an option. No matter what they say, remember that they can always turn around and report anything you say to their insurance company – or yours.

Get quotes to cover your expenses

Get quotes to repair or replace your property that was damaged. Gather up your medical bills and talk to your doctor about any ongoing medical costs. When you work with The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker, we can help estimate your long-term costs that should be recovered. Request this amount from the other party. If they agree, move on to creating a settlement agreement. If they do not, then let your attorney handle negotiations.

Create and sign a settlement agreement

Even if you do not want to get the insurance company involved, we do not recommend simply taking or giving money with no formal agreement. You should have a signed settlement agreement that clearly lays out who was at fault, what they are admitting to, and what they are paying to the injured party. Contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 now for a free legal consultation to better understand your options.