You can hire a personal injury attorney on behalf of your incapacitated spouse

Getting Help for an Injured Spouse

When a spouse suffers any kind of injury due to someone else’s negligence, their partner often feels an urgent need to punish the responsible party. The more serious the harm, the stronger this feeling may become.

One possible way to secure justice for an injured spouse is to pursue a personal injury claim against the responsible party. This has the added benefit of providing compensation to cover the injured spouse’s medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.

Now You May Wonder…

…What If My Spouse is Incapacitated?

Following a very serious accident, particularly one involving a traumatic brain injury, the injured spouse may be in no condition to tend to their own medical care or legal affairs. In this situation, the responsibility falls on their partner. If you find yourself in this situation, here are some important points to keep in mind:

You need to act quickly. After a personal injury accident of any kind, it is important to act quickly to ensure vital evidence is preserved. Contacting a personal injury attorney ASAP after your partner’s accident is wise because your attorney can help you understand what evidence is important to capture, as well as help with the investigation into the circumstances of the accident and the injury.

You don’t need to wait for your spouse to improve. Sometimes if a spouse is unconscious following an accident, their partner may want to wait for them to wake up so they can participate in decisions relating to their case. Again, you are better off taking quick and decisive action rather than waiting for your spouse to improve. At the very least, contact an attorney. If your spouse’s condition improves and for some reason they prefer not to pursue a case, the matter can always be dropped later. It is better to be prepared and not actually file a case, than need to file and not be prepared.

You can sign an attorney agreement for your spouse. If your spouse is unconscious or otherwise incapacitated, you can sign an agreement with a personal injury attorney on their behalf. If their condition improves, the agreement can be reaffirmed with their signature later on. If not, you will be able to continue with the case and accept any eventual judgment on their behalf.

Need Help?

If your spouse has suffered a catastrophic injury, contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 for help. The initial consultation is always free.