Everything You Need to Know About Pursuing A Wrongful Death Claim After a Fatal Car Accident

Throughout the world, more than one million people die in road accidents per year. That is more than 3,000 souls per day. In the U.S. alone, more than 32,000 die in the average year in car accidents. If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, you might have legal recourse to recover financial damages. This cannot bring back your loved one but it can help you get through the aftermath. Contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 to request a free legal consultation.

A Wrongful Death Claim Can Help Pay for the Funeral, Lost Income, and Much More

The average funeral costs between $7,000 and $10,000. This can be an incredible burden for a family that does not have life insurance to cover the cost. Consider that the average salary in the country is just over $50,000 per year and that when a family member dies, their income dies with them. If the car accident occurred as a result of someone else acting negligently or recklessly, then they should be held financially responsible.

Not All Fatal Car Accidents Involve Wrongful Death

It is important to know that just because your loved one was killed in a car accident does not mean that it qualifies as wrongful death. Wrongful death is one that involves negligent or reckless behavior from the at-fault party. This includes things like drunk driving, texting while driving, excessive speeding, failure to follow road laws, and more.

Wrongful Death Lawsuits Do Not Have to Be Filed Against an Individual

Depending on the specifics of an accident, it might be possible to sue someone in addition to or instead of the person who was involved in the accident. For example, if the roads were horribly maintained and significantly contributed to the accident, if there were improper road signs, if a trucking company did not take steps to vet their employees, or if a faulty vehicle is knowingly sold, then companies or government entities could be found responsible.

Only Certain People Can File Wrongful Death Cases

It is not enough for you to have loved a person who died in a car accident for you to have the standing to file a lawsuit. If your spouse or parent died, then you can likely sue for wrongful death. If you are a grandchild or stepchild of the deceased and at last 50% of your financial stability came from the victim, then you can likely sue for wrongful death. If you have a different relationship, you might qualify but it is best to talk to an attorney.

You can call The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 now for a free legal consultation to determine your eligibility and next steps.