Essential Steps to Take if You Are Involved in a Hit and Run Accident

It is common for a person who has been the victim of a hit and run to believe that their options are limited. The fact is that there are steps you can take to increase the chance that the at-fault party is held accountable and that you are compensated for your car accident damages. Keep reading to find out exactly what you should do. Then contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 for a free legal consultation.

Get Medical Help and Report the Accident

Your top priority is ensure that you and any passengers involved are safe. If you or someone else has a serious injury, call for emergency services. If you do not need an ambulance, then you should seek out medical help once you have completed the other steps listed.

Once everyone is safe, you should file a police report. You can call the county or city police, or you can call the California Highway Patrol, depending on the specifics of the accident. It is very important that you give as much information as possible to the police. Remember that you and anyone in your vehicle may be the only involved parties. Remember as well that even if the damage is very minor, the person who hit and ran broke the law and the police should be called.

Document Everything You Can

Write down everything you can about the accident as soon as you can. It would be great if you could get the license plate of the other drive but if you can’t, then write down the color of the vehicle, the size – anything you can remember of it. Note any bumper stickers it may have had, or anything specific that helps it stand out from other similar vehicles. Of course, you should also write down anything you saw of the driver or passengers as well.

You will also need to document where you were, the weather at the time, the road conditions, and any traffic lights, stop lights, or other traffic signs. Take photos of all of these if you can, or at least write down a description. Likewise, write down the specifics of all property damage and any injuries. Take photos or video when possible. At the end of the day, the more evidence you have, the better off you’re likely to be.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney

Once you have contacted the appropriate authorities and documented what you can, it is time to contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 for a free legal consultation. We will go over the case and offer advice regarding how you may be able to recover compensation your damages. This may be through your own insurance policy or by finding the at-fault party. Call now to find out how we can help.