Do You Know What to Do if a Loved One Dies on the Job? Learn About Your Legal Options

Losing a loved one is always hard, but when you believe that someone else’s negligence is the cause of their death, it can feel impossible to move on. If your loved one has died at work, then you might not realize the rights you have. Keep reading to learn about what to do if you have lost a family in a workplace accident or call The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 for a free legal consultation.

Were You Financially Dependent on Your Loved One?

If you were financially dependent on your loved one who has died, then you can likely recover workers’ compensation if they died as a result of their job. If you are their spouse, child, or another dependent family member, then you might be eligible to receive death benefits on a weekly basis or as a lump sum. Workers’ compensation will generally also cover burial expenses, but only up to a certain amount. Make sure you know what that amount is before you begin making arrangements.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney if Your Loved One Was Killed at Work

If your loved one has died in a workplace accident, then your next step should be contacting an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. At The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker, we have many years of experience working with wrongful death cases, and we are standing by to help you find the best way forward. These are difficult cases, and we are sensitive to how challenging it is for the surviving family. Call us now at 800-333-0000 and let us provide a free legal consultation.

What to Do if You Are Injured While Working

On the other hand, if you are seriously injured at work, then you might have several options. First, you might file a workers’ compensation claim. Many people choose this route because they do not have to prove that anyone was at fault, and they can begin receiving benefits immediately. However, they will only receive a portion of their lost wages, and they are not able to recover damages for pain and suffering at all.

Your other main option is to file a personal injury lawsuit against a third-party that is at fault. For example, if you work in manufacturing and your injury was caused by a faulty piece of machinery, then it is possible the manufacturer of that machinery can be held responsible.

If you want to find out what your best option is, then we invite you to contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 for a free legal consultation. We are standing by to provide you with the best help you can get.