A construction worker trying to hang a banner at Mission Viejo High School from a 30-foot-high scaffold was electrocuted after contacting live electrical wires on Thursday, July 17th. He has been identified as 23-year-old Daniel Pohl, from Apple Valley. A second worker suffered severe injuries while attempting to aid Pohl.
The incident occurred around 3:15 p.m. at Mission Viejo High School. Pohl was atop the scaffolding when he came into contact with the exposed wires. A second worker climbed the scaffolding and attempted to perform CPR on Pohl, but also came into contact with the wires. He was shocked and thrown off of the scaffolding to the ground. Both men were taken to Mission Hospital. The second worker experienced severe burn injuries. Pohl was pronounced dead at the hospital.
School district authorities have stated that the banner-hanging project was not requested by the district. The accident occurred in full view of numerous student athletes and parents. The incident is still under investigation by the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration.