Can You Sue Your Landlord if You Are Injured on Their Property? Maybe

When you rent a home or apartment in California, you have certain rights – and your landlord has certain obligations. If you are injured on their property, it is possible that they can be held accountable. Keep reading to find out more about those situations. Then contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 to request a free legal consultation.

Understanding the Implied Warranty of Habitability

Everyone who rents property in California has an implied warranty of habitability. This means that the house has to be in what’s considered “livable condition.” In short, the landlord is responsible for taking steps to keep the space reasonably safe and free from danger. If they do not do so, then they can potentially be found at fault for any injuries that occur on the property.

Landlords Must Ensure Certain Standards for Your Home

California law requires that landlords ensure various safety measures for the homes they rent. This includes effective waterproofing and weather protection. For example, it must have doors and windows that are not broken. The plumbing and gas systems must also conform to relevant laws and be in good working order.

The heating system must be in good working order, electric must be installed properly and working correctly, floors, stairs, and railings must be in good repair, and trash receptacles must be clean and accessible. The home must be clean and sanitary, which includes free from debris accumulation, filth, rubbish, rodents, etc.

These Types of Injuries May Warrant a Lawsuit

If you have been injured or otherwise been hurt due to your landlord’s negligence, then you may have a case against them. Examples of injuries that your landlord may be legally responsible for include:

  • Electric shock caused by the wiring in the home not being up to code.
  • Being attacked by a dog that the landlord knew lived on the premises.
  • Falling on the stairs because they are broken.
  • Becoming sick due to mold in the apartment.

These are just some examples. If you have been injured on property owned by anyone else – including your landlord – it is worth talking to a personal injury attorney to find out what your rights are.

Call an Attorney Today to Get Help with Your Individual Case

If you have been injured, have become ill, or have otherwise suffered damage due to your landlord keeping your home in an unsafe state, then it is time to contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 for a free legal consultation. We are standing by to provide you with the best possible assistance at this time. The process will begin with careful considerations of your case and an attorney’s opinion on your options.