You may be able to file an insurance claim for a slip and fall injury.

Can I Recover If I Fall at a Friend’s House?Visiting friends is one of life’s great joys. But even at a close friend’s house, accidents can happen. Slip and fall accidents are fairly frequent causes for homeowner insurance claims, and can be fairly awkward for both the victim of the fall and the homeowner. If you have been hurt in a fall at a friend (or relative)’s house, you may be wondering how exactly you can go about recovering for your injuries while preserving your relationship.

At the Law Offices of Larry H. Parker, we firmly believe that your health and recovery needs should come first — and that your loved one should understand that you need to protect yourself. Fortunately, most people either have renter’s insurance or homeowner’s insurance that will likely cover your claim. This means that if you do have to file a claim for your injury, you are not truly filing against your friend, but against their insurance company. That may not feel different to you, but it is; after all, your friend pays their insurance bill for just this type of situation. Your friend wouldn’t want you to have huge medical bills after falling at their house just because you don’t want to file a claim on their insurance.

After a fall at a friend or relative’s property, there are some steps that you can take to protect your right to compensation. First, notify the homeowner. You might find this uncomfortable or strange, but asking your friend or relative for their insurance information is a necessary step. Request the name of their insurance company in case your injury results in medical bills, the need for further treatment, prescription medication, time off of work, or more. Having the name of the insurance company can help you get the coverage you need while still maintaining your relationship with the homeowner.

Second, request your medical records as soon as possible. The insurance company may try to dispute that your injuries were from the fall in question. Using your medical records, a skilled slip and fall attorney can show that you did suffer the injury as a result of the fall and not in a previous accident.

Third, make sure that you document everything that you can. Take pictures of your injuries as much as possible, and try to take a picture of the condition that caused you to fall if you can (such as a damaged stairway, loose railing, or a cord that was across a walkway). Make a list of witnesses, and keep track of your medical and other expenses that you have incurred as a result of your injuries.

Fourth, consult with a trusted slip and fall attorney. At the Law Offices of Larry H. Parker, we help victims recover for their injuries. We have a 95% success rate, and have recovered more than $2 billion on behalf of our clients. Initial consultations are always free, and we never charge a fee unless we get money for you.

Recovering for a slip and fall suffered at a friend’s house may be awkward, but it may also be necessary if you have suffered damages. Most people carry renter’s or homeowner’s insurance that will cover these costs, and will understand your need to file a claim. A skilled slip and fall injury, such as one of the lawyers of the Law Offices of Larry H. Parker, can help. Contact us today at 800-333-0000 or to schedule a free initial consultation.