Hit and run accidents don’t mean you’re stuck with your bills.

Recovering for a Hit and Run

In California and across the country, leaving the scene of an accident is a crime — yet far too many drivers still do this.  If a car crashes into you and then leaves, you may be left wondering how you’ll be able to receive compensation for your injuries.  After all, how can you hold a person responsible for the collision if you have no idea who that person is?

First, know that there are options for determining who hit you.  In many cases, the police may be able to investigate the accident and track down the driver, who may face criminal charges as well as a potential lawsuit.

However, even if the police can’t find the person who hit you — or if they find the person and he or she doesn’t have insurance — you do have options.  Most drivers have what is known as uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage (known as UIM) as part of their car insurance policies.  This is a special part of your car insurance that will allow you to be compensated if you are involved in an accident with a driver who either doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your injuries.  

UIM Coverage Basics

Many car insurance policies include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as part of the basic package.  It is specially designed to protect you from the possibility that you will be in an accident with a driver who either has no car insurance or has only minimal insurance that won’t cover your injuries.  If you have this type of coverage, you are paying for it each month — and so you should use it if you are in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance.

For purposes of UIM coverage, hit and run drivers are generally treated in the same way as drivers who do not have car insurance.  Your insurance company will be responsible for covering your injuries from an accident with a hit and run driver.  It will typically pay damages in the same way that it would if you were responsible for a car accident, subject to policy limits.

Keep in mind that when you are making a claim under a UIM policy, your insurance company may want to avoid paying you for your losses.  A car accident attorney can help ensure that your rights are protected and that your insurance company does not attempt to underpay you or wiggle out of paying you altogether.

At the Law Offices of Larry H. Parker, we are skilled at negotiating with insurance companies, whether that company is our client’s insurance or the other driver’s insurance company.  We thoroughly investigate each and every claim on behalf of our clients, and work hard to make sure that their legal rights are protected and that they receive the compensation that they deserve for their injuries — even if that means filing a claim against their own insurance company.

If you have been injured in a car accident involving an unknown or known driver, please be aware that we are here to help.  Call the Law Offices of Larry H. Parker today at 800-333-0000 or to schedule free initial consultation.  We will review your rights and options with you, and we won’t ever charge a fee unless we recover money for you!

📞 Call 800-333-0000 Today!